nav photo Blog-Nav.jpg

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

KittenPawsVintage Interviewed by Galaxie Andrews



About a month ago I was extremely delighted to receive an email from local photographer Galaxie Andrews. She had randomly found my creative work online and wanted to get together for coffee. So strange because I had found her work online about a month prior and really really liked it and book marked it. Oh how small the world is when you have the internet! Anyways long story short we met, drank delicious coffee and had an awesome time talking about photography, fashion, being business women, following our dreams, etc. Such an excellent time! Recently she was kind enough to feature me on her blog! I've included the interview below but check out the full article on Galaxie's blog
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


GA: What is KittenPawsVintage?
TE: KittenPawsVintage is a online vintage clothing boutique that specializes in vintage pieces from the 1960s, 70s and 80s.


GA: How do you select the perfect pieces for your shop?
TE: I go antiquing and thifting a ton so it’s just kind of a matter of being in the right place at the right time finding the best stuff. I look for pieces that have unique fabric, interesting cuts, good condition, generally items that could translate well into the closet of a modern girl as well as pieces that are little bit more out there and unique for special events like costume parties, weddings, special photo shoots, etc. I’m constantly reading fashion blogs and observing what people around me are wearing. If I notice any patterns like hey a lot of people are suddenly wearing turbans or this certain color, when I shop I have to snatch those things up when I see them. I also like to visit popular stores like Urban Outfitters, XXI and Anthropology to notice trends in fashion that may be vintage inspired that I can draw from. Generally it’s a big treasure hunt that’s part research, part persistence and part luck.




GA: When shopping for clothes, what is the advantage of buying vintage rather than going to the mall?
TE: “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.”- Coco Chanel
I’m a huge fan of old houses and buildings because it seems like each one is so different from the next, unlike the cookie cutter stucco buildings I see all over Arizona. I guess I feel the same way about clothing. Every piece has so much history it’s exciting! There are so many little details on a vintage dress that you wouldn’t find on a modern one. Its also very unlikely that one of your girlfriends is going to be wearing the same outfit! Another cool thing about buying vintage is that it’s a form of recycling. I’m totally not against buying new things or shopping at the mall, but girls go through clothing so fast and according to the EPA Office of Solid Waste, it’s estimated that Americans throw away more than 68 pounds of clothing and textiles per person per year, and clothing and other textiles represent about 4% of the municipal solid waste. Thats crazy!
GA: What would be a sweet engagement session outfit?
TE: I think anything that’s a little bit more romantic, playful or exaggerated would be super fun for an engagement shoot. A lot of couples do multiple outfits so if you don’t want to go too crazy you can always do a few in your normal wear. If your guy is down with it why not have some fun maybe your shoot can have a theme. Just something that is a little bit more playful and tells a story. Your wedding is one of the most important days of your life and your engagement pics and invites are a celebration and announcement of that so celebrate and have a little fun! Someone just bought this dress for an engagement shoot and I think it’s going to be so perfect!

Also here’s a few other super romantic and pretty dresses that are up in the shop that also might be fun


GA: Any suggestions on pairing something you already own with a new vintage piece?
TE: As a teenager my main creative outlets were theater and my daily wardrobe choices, which tended to be more on the theatrical side. Let’s just say I was part raver chick part punk rock part gangsta at a small conservative private school. Pretty over accessorized, pretty random, pretty ridiculous! I think most people found my style intriguing and endearing, I don’t ever remember being made fun of for the way I dressed, but now when I look back at pictures I have to laugh at myself!
All this to say I’ve learned that sometimes it’s good to just keep it simple. When pairing vintage with modern pieces I generally try to start with one main piece. Let’s say a pretty vintage dress. I decide to make it the focus and then just kind of add shoes and accessories that compliment it and don’t compete. If the dress is solid I try to add some movement with a funky necklace, unique belt or vintage hat. If it’s patterned I keep it a bit simpler and generally put less accessories on. Also, I love shoes! It seems like you can never have enough shoes. I sometimes try on 5-10 pairs of shoes and then finally find the right combo because they are just that important!
Some girls can pull off the complete vintage look (check outdiaryofavintagegirl.com & thedizzydame.blogspot.com) but it takes work. One thing I really want to get into for myself and my KittenPaws photo shoots is vintage hair styling. It seems like if you get a few vintage hair styles down it can really seal the deal on your overall vintage look.
Other than that I’m constantly looking at and being inspired by fashion blogs. A few of my favorites girlies who have some great vintage modern looks: Hannah and LandonLiebemarleneClevernettleStrawberry KoiQ’s Daydream just to name a few :) I also love chictopia.comlookbook.nu, & weardrobe.com for general fashion goodness
Don’t be afraid to collect images of other girls styles that you like. Make inspiration boards. Doodle out your dream outfits. Edit your closet. Have fun and don’t ever take fashion too seriously! It’s all about how you feel and if you are comfortable and confident in yourself and what you are wearing. Be fabulous. Be classy. Be yourself!

2 comments:

  1. i LOVE the yellow maxi, its soooo pretty x
    x follow x

    http://rainbowsandfairydust.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the yellow maxi !! Can't wait to receive it XD
    What camera and lens do you use ? I really like your pictures especially at times of the day where the sun is down, beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete